About a week before the race last year, at the request of several serious runners in our group of registrants, we significantly changed the route of our half marathon so as to direct runners off the paved roads and on to our dirt roads as much as possible. The end result significantly minimizes the amount of time spent on asphalt, improves the safety of the run, and substantially improves our runners’ time spent in proximity with our world famous fields of dandelions. Here is the new map of the run (or click map below to enlarge view). The reports from our runners were overwhelmingly positive – extraordinary beauty – very challenging – a wonderful run.
Directions for Dandelion Run 2009 (updated 5/15/09:
- Starting at the Derby Beach House (closest to Coutts-Moriarty Drive Way)
- Run to end of 4H Rd and turn Right onto Rte 111 East
- Turn Right onto Dumas Rd (dirt rd) (Mile 1.2)
- Follow Dumas Rd to Jct of Hayward Hollow & Dumas (2 mile mark & 1st Youth Relay/Water Station)
- Take a left onto Hayward Hollow (dirt rd) at the Jctn running out to the farm and turning around at common with flag pole (Mile 2.6).
- Return to Jctn of Hayward Hollow and Dumas Rd for 1st Relay station/ 2nd Youth Relay /Water station (Mile 3.1).
- Turn left onto Fontaine Rd (dirt rd) to Jctn of Fontaine and Derby Gore Rd (not marked) (4 miles). Turn left onto Derby Gore Rd (dirt rd) and travel uphill (3rd Youth Relay/Water station at 4.8 mile mark).
- Follow Derby Gore Rd to stop sign (Mile 5.8) & turn right onto Rte 111 East (tar)
- Travel on Rte 111 East to the North Gore Rd (dirt rd) and take a left for the 2nd Relay Station/ 4th Youth Relay/ Water Station (Mile 6.1).
- Travel North on the Gore rd (5th Youth Relay/Water Station at 7.3 mile mark)
- Turn left onto Bates Rd (dirt rd) (Mile 8.1) to 3rd Relay Station/ 6th Youth Relay/Water Station at 9.3 mile mark.
- Continue on Bates Rd (7th Youth Relay Station at Mile 10.8). Dirt rd will transition to tar at about 11.8 mile mark (8th Youth Relay Station if need be) & Jctn with Rte 111 (Mile 12.2). Proceed straight at stop sign onto Rte 111 West.
- Turn left onto 4H Rd and finish at Derby Beach House for 13.1 miles!